Sunday, November 18

TEAK: Day 2

Last time on Survivor - Espiritu Santo Pastor Edition:

...WHAT?!? How could you bathe in our drinking water?!...

...I Think we should vote off Ian next. Don't ask me why though...

...Where's Aaron?!? Oh well, he must have been eaten or something. We'll just have to tow his kayak along. No sense in wasting it...

Day 2: Too much Paddling

We all woke up this morning feeling (slightly) refreshed. Sleeping on sand is too weird to be comfortable. I knew it was going to be a long day of paddling (that was the plan), but sixteen miles? that's twice the distance we went yesterday. if we somehow managed to keep a steady 3 mph (which we didn't), that would still be a little over five hours. However, I think we paddled much more than that. Luckily the water was calm, so it was just a matter of putting on arm in the front of the other.
After an hour or two we got to see something pretty cool - some natural caves. I guess storms and whatnot has just battered these big ole' caverns in the side of the cliffs. It was cool because they were "submerged" and you could kayak in and out of them. A few were actually tunnels that went all the way through part of the cliff. I think my favorite cave was one of the tunnel ones, but my second favorite was definitely the one where you could go inside to a shallow area and get out of your kayak. A true blessing.
A couple more hours got us to the halfway point of our journey - a small channel in between isla espiritu santo and isla partida. It was about fifty feet wide and two feet deep ( at least at that tide it was. I know that it gets deep enough for small boats to go through). It was pretty easy to get that far because I knew that would be a bit of a milestone, crossing the half way point and all. But right after we all went through that channel I think it hit that there was still the other half of the trip, and that I had to paddle another eight miles or so that day. Not cool. So everyone was overjoyed when Steve told us we were going to stop at a small beach for lunch. Once we had all eaten (tuna fish... mmmmm....) Joel and Aaron decided to go snorkeling. I opted to sleep. Now, that is a little amazing because I almost never takes naps. So looking back I realize I must have really needed it.
After everyone rested some, we got back in the kayaks for the rest of today's journey. And nothing interesting really happened. Just some really nice scenery and clear, calm water. This is the part where I would clip some pictures up, but since I still don't have any, I won't. But I will have them someday...
So eight miles later we arrived at campsite two; which actually turned out to be a really cool place. We managed to keep a good pace all day, so when we got there the sun was still pretty high. So we staked out our sleeping areas and then grabbed the snorkel gear. I must say, this area really makes me wish I had a nice waterproof digital camera. The life we found there was amazing. I saw more eels there than I'd ever seen in my life. Not to mention all the snapper and reef fish. On top of all that there were lots of cool little aqua-caves you could dive down and poke your head into.


Dog Snapper




Reef Eel


After we go back from snorkeling we dried off and ate supper. A tasty combo of Mac & Cheese and M&Ms. Those are probably the best M&Ms I've ever had. I mean, after snacking on nothing but granola bars for two days eating chocolate felt like waking my taste buds up from a coma. It felt gewd. Well, I would love to next write that we all went to sleep, but I don't think anyone slept much that night. Too many bugs. Even with OFF they kept biting. Oh well, I got to see Orion float across the sky. He moves quite a bit in ten hours.

Here's a little diagram of the island I made. Our camp sites and places we stopped for lunch are marked on there, so I'll do my best to explain it.
Hmm, the dots don't show up to well, but you can still see them.
Red dot: First camp
Yellow Dots: cave areas
Purple Dots: Lunch stops
Blue dot: second camp

It is 16 miles in between the red and blue dots. then it is aprox. eight miles from either the red or the blue dot to the beach we set off from.
to be continued...

Thus ends part two of the saga. Tune in next time for...

Day 3: Volcanoes, Barrel-Roles, and sweet Terra-Firma


No comments: